With the growing and evolving retail world, one thing had remained constant: retailers did not have to collect sales tax for online sales to states in which they had no physical presence.
You are here
Meghan Hottel-Cox is a real estate attorney. She focuses her practice on land use, working with real estate developers and educational institutions on a range of zoning matters. Meghan counsels clients through the full range of project analysis and strategy, helping them to reach their goals when acquiring zoning approvals for projects throughout the District.
Meghan presents before the DC Board of Zoning Adjustment and the DC Zoning Commission on behalf of her clients.
Meghan also handles real estate transactions such as sales, acquisitions, leasing and financing of commercial real estate properties. She assists clients with both single-asset and portfolio transactions over multiple jurisdictions.
- Representation of Trinity Washington University in connection with the development and renewal of the school’s 10-year campus plan. Helped the comprehensive institution to develop the plan, craft the application and submit it to the Zoning Commission and work with the community and agencies to gather and implement public feedback. The university’s plan includes proposals for existing buildings, future development, enrollment, faculty and staffing, infrastructure improvements as well as historic evaluation of the campus buildings.
- Representation of a real estate developer in connection with the redevelopment of property purchased from a major university. Worked with the client to present and obtain a zoning map amendment so that they may construct a mixed-use building for residential and retail purposes.
- Representation of a building owner before the Board of Zoning Adjustment so that they may take advantage of current penthouse regulations. As a result, the client was able to redevelop an existing office building to utilize penthouse space, increasing the value of the space by adding rooftop conference and event space.
- Representation of a real estate property owner in connection with the individual sales of 5 office properties across Washington DC and Virginia. Handled the negotiation and execution of all of the purchase & sales agreements, contracts and closing documents for each of the properties.
- Representation of a real estate developer in connection with the sale of a residential portfolio in Southwestern United States. Also represent this client in connection with the sale of existing assets and joint ventures with sponsor partners in connection with the purchase and sale of properties for both ground-up development, as well as redevelopment projects in Washington DC and Virginia. The firm handles the negotiation and drafting of joint venture agreements and related development and asset management agreements.