You are here
Abe Leitner is a Director in the Tax Group in the firm's New York office. He has planned numerous cross-border transactions for U.S. and foreign individuals and corporations. He has structured international joint ventures involving real estate investments in the United States and abroad and has advised multinational corporations on cross-border mergers and acquisitions. Abe has advised foreign governments, insurance companies, hedge funds, real estate developers, REITs, assisted living providers, manufacturers and high net worth individuals.
Prior to joining the Goulston & Storrs, Abe was a Partner at a leading Canadian law firm recognized for its focus on business law, and was based in that firm's New York office. He is also the former Chair of the Young IFA Network Committee, IFA USA Branch.
- Abe participated in a panel at the Canadian Tax Foundation annual conference, speaking on the topic of U.S. anti-inversion rules and their impact on cross-border offerings.
- Abe participated in a panel on Foreign Tax Credits: Recent Developments and Practical Tax Cases in Mexico and the United States, at the University of San Diego – Procopio International Tax Institute. He also presented on tax implications of Foreign Corporations with U.S. Headquarters: “What Tax Exposure?” at the NYC International Tax Institute.
- Abe was a panel member of the Annual Conference of the USA Branch of the International Fiscal Association addressing the U.S. Model Treaty approach to hybrid entities. He was part of the panel at the Joint Meeting of the United States and Canada branches of the International Fiscal Association, addressing U.S.-Canada Cross Border Financing Structures. Abe was a member of the American Bar Association panel addressing the "Use of Derivatives to Avoid U.S. Taxation of Effectively Connected Income".
Professional and Community Involvement
- Former Chair, Young IFA Network Committee, IFA USA Branch
- Committee on Taxation of Business Entities, NYC Bar Association
- Foreign Activities of U.S. Taxpayers Committee, Tax Section of the American Bar Association
- Inbound U.S. Activities of Foreign Taxpayers and Outbound Foreign Activities of U.S. Taxpayers Committees, Tax Section of the New York State Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association
Awards and Recognition
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2013-2017
- Who's Who Legal: Corporate Tax