You are here

Get Out Of My (Right Of ) WAY!

Charles Jamieson's picture
Published: 08/10/19 - Country: United Kingdom

Rights of Way can be one of the most bothersome issues for neighbours: ‘We’ve been walking through here for fifty years!’, ‘You can’t park that there!’, ‘Where did that padlock come from?!

The general rule is pretty simple to follow: there is a right over someone else’s land. So why does it get so complicated?

Some rights do not pass with the land, and therefore need to be properly documented at the next registration. Other rights may have arisen over a course of conduct and across a period of time, and even then for it to become a prescribed right it will still require certain conditions to be met.

It may be that what a person is trying to do does not actually conform with their right – say a right to pass and repass by foot may not explicitly extend to using a vehicle. Examples which are ripe for dispute are the use of shared driveways between two properties (and access is blocked) or when one neighbour is having work done to their property and the construction team take up large tranches of shared car parks.

A common situation when the granting of a right falls apart can be when a property is developed / divided, and the developer omits to grant an easement to a transferee and / or reserve an easement for the benefit of the transferor. This would not only include easements for rights of way – how are the bins going to make it to the street for collection or a car make it across a neighbour’s property to their garage or parking area – but also, for example, a right to light or support.

It would be a horrible situation if, after buying your new property, you find out that the property does not have the relevant easements you need to enjoy your property.

When looking at enforcing, or protecting, a right which has been granted, or gained through prescription, a party will always need to consider against whom they are seeking to enforce and therefore checks will need to be made of the relevant title to the land. It may also be prudent to ensure a purchaser is not acquiring a property where there has already been a breach.

The other point to remember is that where there is a benefit, it would be expected that there is a burden alongside it; if you are sharing the use of an access way do you have an obligation to pay for its maintenance and repair?

Subscribe to The Journal

* indicates required
Areas of Interest

Pragma International will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing. Please let us know all the ways you would like to hear from us:

You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking below, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

Article Rating: 
Average: 4.6 (5 votes)
Total reads: 458
Charles Jamieson's picture

Charles was Called to the Bar in 2012 and in 2016 became a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives following three years of Dispute Resolution with W H Matthews & Co in the City before joining Fisher Meredith in January 2017. Prior to returning to education as a mature student Charles was a contract negotiator and broker.

Charles specialises in property disputes including Landlord & Tenant (residential and commercial), Boundary Disputes, Party Wall Act matters, Trespass, and Construction Disputes – acting for home owners, leaseholders, builders, sub-contractors, tenants and property & management agents alike. In addition to disputes, Charles will provide a bespoke advisory service before a venture of course of action is commenced, thereby allowing a party to proceed with their eyes open to certain risks. Charles is often asked to review Tenancy Agreements and procedures for Residential Landlord’s either new to the market of with an established portfolio of properties.

Charles also takes instructions in general Commercial, (Contentious) Probate, Consumer, Contracts for Goods / Services, and Debt matters.  Having trained as an Advocate, Charles is often able to provide an initial meeting to Courtroom service.

In his spare time Charles is a pro bono Community Mediator and the Staines Village Residents and Traders Association legal adviser.  He is also appointed as a Trustee for CALM Mediation, a charity focused on community mediation and restorative justice.

Areas of Practice

Economic Sectors